Friday, September 14, 2012

Becoming an Advocate...

I travel throughout the country quite a bit for work.  I'm always meeting new people and engaging in getting-to-know-you conversations during dinners or other events.  Those conversations inevitably lead to the do-you-have-kids question.  During a recent trip to Orlando, the questions still came, but my reaction was different.  I didn't shy away or give some dismissive one-word answer, as I have in years past.  In fact, I found myself actually waiting and hoping that someone would ask me.  And when they did (because people always do), I was open and enthusiastic.  Wow, what a switch!  I talked about our adoption, and I loved it!  I think maybe I even lit up, because the people around me lit up.  They asked questions and I answered, stealthily correcting common misconceptions and unwitting negative language.  People, some I knew very little or not at all prior, became invested and asked to be informed of updates.  During one of my conversations, someone never having considered adoption before, exclaimed, “That could be an option for me!”  I felt peaceful and proud, and, dare I say, special.  That sounds a little self serving, but it’s true, it is special.  Adoption is special.  I am blessed to be part of it.  And, even though we’re not yet on the other side and there are still major struggles, I’m enjoying becoming an advocate.

10 comments:

  1. Love hearing this.... yes it is special.... you made my day! Hugs to you and lots of prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, thank you, Mel. Hugs and prayers back at ya! See you soon, hopefully.

      Delete
  2. This gave me goosebumps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea! Thanks, Gina! Another 3 hour lunch soon, I hope!

      Delete
  3. You are so strong! I've also had different moments during my journey - ones of different realizations and perspectives. Good for you! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristin! I really appreciate your words of encouragement. I know you continue to navigate a difficult journey, and I think of you too!

      Delete
  4. Congrats, Beth, on welcoming the questions and enjoying giving the answers and talking about it! That's a huge step! It gives me hope that I will make it to that point someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a process! I have good days and bad, but as time goes on the good seem to increase over the bad. There is so much loss to digest through the journey. Don’t beat yourself up if adoption doesn’t seem like the greatest thing on earth right away.

      Delete
  5. Is it dated to pump my fist in the air and say, "you go girl!" ?? I think I know the answer, but I'm not above it... You go girl! Way to shape the world :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome comment! Lol! Love it! Thank you, thank you!

      Delete