Wednesday, January 30, 2013

One Week Old...

That's right!  Our little girl is one week old today.  And what a wonderful week it's been!
 
Her name is Rae Kathryn.  Born 1/23/13.  6 lb 4 oz, 19 in.
 
It all happened very fast.  We learned that we were to be her parents on the night before she was born.  After her birth, we waited the 24 hours for the papers to be signed, then flew out to get our girl.  We spent that night in the hospital with her, and every moment since then.  We are still in Utah, waiting for ICPC paperwork to process, so that we can leave the state.  The entire experience has been great.  The hospital doctors and nurses, the agency workers, and the hotel staff have all been so good to us.  Unfortunately, we did not meet Rae's birth mom, but she will always be in our prayers.   
 
Rae has been such a good girl.  She hardly ever fusses, sleeps great in her bassinet, and goes 3-4 hours between feedings.  This time with just the three of us has been very special.  We've had some amazing moments.  On the first night in our hotel, we were all laying together, Rae on my chest.  I said to Ross, "Do you think she knows I'm her mom?"  Right then, she lifted her head and looked right at me, eyes wide.  If Ross hadn't been my witness, I might not have believed it.  Ross has had his moments too.  He sings to her a lot and she just loves it, stares right at him and ultimately falls asleep.  While we are cherishing this time together, we are so excited to share her with family and friends.  We hope to be approved for travel by Friday.
 
It's been a challenging journey, but now it's time to rejoice!  God has truly blessed us.   
 
Hospital

Ride from hospital


Wearing the hat that I made

What's better than a onesie

She positioned herself like this

Swaddle


Our first real outing
 

23 comments:

  1. We are all so excited for all of you!
    I can not wait to meet Rae and see you guys.
    Right now.... I am in YOUR house waiting for you guys to get home!!!
    See you soon.

    Love Mom (Gram & PC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth & Ross-

    Congratulations!!! Rae is just perfect! Can't wait to meet her. I hope your doing well and hope ICPC goes through soon. Enjoy this time with her with just the three of you and have safe travels home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mel! Thanks! You'll have to come visit once we get home. Can't wait.

      Delete
  3. A happy ending at long last! But really...it's just the beginning. Here's to happy beginnings! Overjoyed for you all!

    Love,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina! Thanks for the message. I can't wait for you, Angela, and me to get together with our little ones... all FOUR of them!

      Delete
  4. Such a blessing! Justin, Ayla and I are so happy for you guys! We can't wait to meet little Rae! Like my mother always told me Great things come to those who wait! I hope you get to come home soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You and Justin have been such great support.

      Delete
  5. She is beautiful, just like her mama!! I love her so much already and can't wait to shower her with kisses soon! BIG hugs and congrats to you all! Hooray to dreams coming true!!
    Love you tons, Auntie Aarin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already told Rae all about her Antie Aarin! ;)

      Delete
  6. So happy for you guys! I love the picture with her sleeping in her hands, and the one from the first real outing. So cute! Can't wait to meet her. God has truly blessed you and answered your prayers. She is quite an angel =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessed indeed! Thanks, Adele! I hope to see you soon!

      Delete
  7. Overjoyed, especially to hear that you get 3-4 hours between feedings :). Juliana can't wait to meet her "younger" cousin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! Yep, Rae will be the younger cousin. But still very close in age, which is fun. I can picture our future beach trips!!!!

      Delete
  8. I can tell that Sara likes the fact that Rae is the "younger cousin" of Juliana!!!! Since Sara has been your "younger" cousin all this time! :)

    Memorial Weekend will be so much fun with these two new family members..... and watching the parents!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. PERFECT!!!! God's timing is PERFECT!!!! Enjoy these early days with your sweet baby girl, they go by way too fast.

    Blessings to your family of THREE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Misty! Perfect blessing--yes! I already feel like the time is going to fast!!

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness...there she is! Meant to be yours...congratulations new mommy and daddy! Such wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, there she is!!!! Thank you, Jenny. You've been such a good support and so open with your story. It's meant a lot to me.

      Delete
  11. Tears of joy my long time friend! So happy for you and Ross. If my arms were longer I would give you a hug! Please continue to share photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tandi. So good to hear from you! Hopefully you can meet her sometime when I'm in Iowa.

      Delete
  12. I got goosebumps when I read the part about her looking at you when you asked if she knew you were her mama. LOVE it. I could not be happier for you :)

    ReplyDelete