Saturday, May 18, 2013

A New Year: 2013...

I found this in my drafts, written early January.  I wrote quite a bit during that time, but never posted.  This is easier to share now, knowing that 2013 did turn out to be our year.  Goes to show God's timing...     


Over the years, I’ve had only one pregnancy.  They told me it probably wouldn’t last.  It didn’t.  But I was a mom for a few days.
 
I was a mom for a few days again in November, in Las Vegas.
 
"Infant in arms.  If you’re traveling with a small child, your boarding pass must indicate Infant in Arms."  During my work travels, I’ve heard that announcement so often.  Each time, I’d close my eyes and imagine the day they were talking to me, the flight when I’d have an infant in arms.
 
That November flight home from Vegas was maybe the worst of all of the terrible moments.  The flight I had imagined so many times.  But not like that.  Not with empty arms.  I cried the entire time.  It was dark, thankfully.
 
Since then there have been fewer tears.  They spring to the surface at random times.  But definitely fewer and farther between. 
 
And now it’s a new year. 
 
For me, since starting this journey, there’s something both sad and hopeful about a new year. 
 
Another birthday.  Another holiday season.  Without.     
 
Yet the feeling that this year will be our year.  We’ve said that so many times, always thinking, this has to be it. 
 
Our adoption status is “active” again.  Back to waiting.  Let’s see what 2013 brings.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing the tears as well as the joys. I'm so excited to meet your baby next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara. I am so excited to meet Juliana too!!!!!

      Delete
  2. I just read this! You have proved to be so strong through all of this! Hopefully your story will give hope to others who are waiting for their family!
    Love... Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww. Thanks, Mom. You're the best! Love you.

      Delete
  3. So beautifully written Beth! And 2013 did bring a wonderful surprise. I always think back to our adoption training when they told us we would have our babies by the following year. I kind of thought they were crazy. But it all turned out to be about right. The ups and downs were hard. But the end outweighed everything.

    ReplyDelete