Sunday, January 29, 2012

PACT Training...


The state of MN requires 10 hours of training as part of the home study. We accomplished 8 of the 10 hours yesterday by attending an all-day class called Parenting Adopted Children Today (PACT). We thought we’d be fighting to stay awake, but it was actually a good class. Among other things, we discussed how to help a child understand and accept adoption at each age and stage. It’s sad for me to think of a struggle that I can never resolve for my child, but it’s comforting to learn some strategies that will help.
In addition to the teachings, the class gave us the opportunity to connect with other adopting families who are at the same stage in the process. Support is so important! Oh, speaking of other adopting families… At the end of the class, the facilitators gave us a few sample profiles* to page through.  One of samples was of a couple that I know, and as I’m flipping through I realize that there’s a photo of me! It’s a group photo from a Twin’s game. Too funny. I’m sure that’s why they were matched so quickly! ;)
    (*A booklet designed to give a birthmother a glimpse into your life.)

No comments:

Post a Comment